lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Getting Pine to load lynx

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Getting Pine to load lynx
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 18:16:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Michael Warner wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 27, 1998, Roger Hill <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, C.J.LAWSON wrote:
> > >   Please has anyone been able to configure pine to fire up lynx (in
> > > text mode) for viewing html attachments? .. I am sure this should be
> > For Pine 3.96 and 3.95 add the following line to /etc/mailcap:
> >
> > text/html; lynx -force_html -cfg=/usr/local/lib/lynx.cfg %s;needsterminal

This is the line from the .mailcap file in my home directory. It works
with pine 3.96 without any problems that I've noted:

text/html; lynx -force_html -underscore -dump %s ; copiousoutput

I haven't played with this for a while, but I think that it didn't work
on my machine without "-dump". Since this is a version of lynx that I
built, my cfg file is used by default. I am not sure when needsterminal
or copiousoutput is correct. The following is an excerpt from  RFC1524,
which defines the mailcap form:

   -- The "needsterminal" field indicates that the view-command must be
      run on an interactive terminal.  This is needed to inform window-
      oriented user agents that an interactive terminal is needed.  (The
      decision is not left exclusively to the view-command because in
      some circumstances it may not be possible for such programs to
      tell whether or not they are on interactive terminals.)  The
      needsterminal command should be assumed to apply to the compose
      and edit commands, too, if they exist.  Note that this is NOT a
      test -- it is a requirement for the environment in which the
      program will be executed, and should typically cause the creation
      of a terminal window when not executed on either a real terminal
      or a terminal window.

   -- The "copiousoutput" field indicates that the output from the
      view-command will be an extended stream of output, and is to be
      interpreted as advice to the UA (User Agent mail-reading program)
      that the output should be either paged or made scrollable. Note
      that it is probably a mistake if needsterminal and copiousoutput
      are both specified.

                                  Doug

__
Doug Kaufman