lynx-dev

lynx-dev cookies in an anonymous user environ

From: Greg Barniskis
Subject: lynx-dev cookies in an anonymous user environ
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 98 12:18:28 -0500

SCLS hosts an anonymous lynx user account on an HP-UX 10.20 server for
use with public library terminals. Currently we have a patched-up lynx
2.7.1 in place and are preparing to move to the current version.

As configured, all anonymous users share a highly restricted common login
account. They have no access to the server's file system, no bookmark
support, no cookie support, etc. This all works great so far and adheres
to the beloved KISS principle.

There've been minor problems with the absence of cookie support (sites
that don't work or get flaky without 'em). Oh well... we've been able to
access everything that we intended to grant access to -- mostly
non-commerical, non-cookie-reliant government sites and reference info.
But now we need access to periodicals databases purchased under a new
state contract. The database servers require some authentication and
session tracking info from our library users... i.e. cookies.

Are we going to have problems enabling cookies in a shared lynx
environment with multiple simultaneous sessions in the same home
directory? Should we segregate the users instead (first user to request a
lynx session is logged in as user lynx1, next lynx2, ..., lynxN)?

Any comments or pointers to appropriate reference materials would be
appreciated.

TIA!

Greg Barniskis                   address@hidden
Network Administrator                  (608) 266-6394
Library Interchange NetworK (LINK)      fax: 266-6068
South Central Library System (SCLS)       Madison, WI