lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8

From: Thijs Kinkhorst
Subject: Re: lynx-dev GNKSA review of Lynx 2.8
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 11:44:09 +0200

Larry W. Virden, x2487 wrote:

> 1. is there a C level toolkit for writing GNKSA approved news readers?  That
> would certainly make it easier for someone to come along with the patches
> to improve lynx.

There's something called the GNKSA-lib, check the GNKSA tools
page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/gnksa-tools.html

In my view, there are three possible things to do about the news
part of lynx:

1) do nothing. This leaves us with a good WWW browser with
attached to it a very miserable news reader, which doesn't even
allow posting RFC-compliant articles and strongly encourages bad
net-behaviour.

2) address the more urgent GNKSA requirements. This will give us
a good WWW browser and a fair newsreader but will require some
work to be done.

3) remove the "post message" feature. This way, Lynx still enables
users to follow news: links in web pages, but with disabling the
post feature, Lynx will not qualify for a GNKSA-evaluation and this
prevents harm done by any user using the post feature.

--
Thijs Kinkhorst      *    Jaze Web Design    *        ICQ 432406
address@hidden  *  http://www.jaze.net  *  KeyID 0x371EFCB1