lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev verbose images with ISMAP/USEMAP

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Re: lynx-dev verbose images with ISMAP/USEMAP
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 98 09:03:34 EDT

On Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:57:31 -0400 (EDT),
Laura Eaves   <address@hidden> wrote:

>I noticed lynx does not print verbose images for ISMAPs or USEMAPs.
>This info, I've found, can be very useful.
>The following patch prints
>        [ISMAP:gotcha.gif]
>for ISMAP images without an alt string.
>Similarly for USEMAP.
>
>BTW -- I know what an ISMAP is but am not clear about USEMAPs.
>I couldn't find it in the html refs on the help page.
>Could someone enlighten me on USEMAPs?
>Thanx!
>--le

Usemaps are our friends.  They are client-side image maps, with shapes
and coordinates to be drawn by the browser rather than by the server.
Lynx can convert them into lists when they are clicked on, and can use
Alt text when it was given.  Please be sure not to drop the Usemap or
the Ismap from the link placeholder, so we know what we're getting
into.  It ain't pretty, but it works.

-- Lloyd Rasmussen
Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress          202-707-0535
(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/