lynx-dev

lynx-dev dev.28 and FORMS_OPTIONS problems

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx-dev dev.28 and FORMS_OPTIONS problems
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 23:56:06 -0700 (PDT)

I just built and started testing dev.28 on DOS (using Leonid's patch
to allow it to compile), with slang and with EXP_FORMS_OPTIONS
declared. This is the first time in a while that I tried the
FORMS_OPTIONS. There seem to be several problems with the
implementation. Sorry I don't have any fixes.

I note that the user agent does not revert to the standard string
automatically after a change. If the agent is spoofed, this may make
it harder to get back to the normal agent string. When the spoofed
agent is removed with ^U, the agent remains blank when the return key
is hit. The old menu put in the standard string if the field was left
blank.

The multibookmark option has to be changed in two cycles. When going
from off to on, the option to go to the multibookmark page doesn't
appear. The change needs to be saved, then the option menu invoked
again to get to the multibookmark page to set up the individual
bookmark files. The same problem happens when going the other way, to
multibookmarks off.

There is a problem with the color option also, although it seems more
subtle. With slang and DOS, the option menu generally shows color
off as the default, even though color is supported. This is the same
as with the old menu. On the old menu, however, changes in the color
option seem to have no change in color rendition. With the new forms
menu, a change to off makes no change when initially accepted. If the
form is accepted a second time, however, the color for the active link
changes from color 6 to color 2. It goes back to color 6 when color is
changed back to ON in the menu and the form accepted.

I am not sure that the forms-based option menu is ready for the 2.8.1
release.
                           Doug

__
Doug Kaufman