lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: Conagent.exe and keyboard conflicts

From: Janina Sajka
Subject: lynx-dev Re: Conagent.exe and keyboard conflicts
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 14:35:40 -0400 (EDT)

We have dealt with many of the issues raised in the posts below here at
AFB. Our experience is similar, but not the same in all respects. Let me
make several comments:

1.)     I do not know COMAGENT.EXE --it does not appear to be on my
Windows 95 system;

2.)     I have had no problems using either PKZIP 2.5 or the FTP client
that ships with Windows 95 using ASAP speech. We've done nothing to make
these work for us, and they work across all AFB machines today, so I'm
befuddled why these should be problematical--they've never been a problem
here.

3.)     In case anyone is unclear about it, the TELNET client that ships
with Windows 95 is not a console application and, therefore, one's Windows
speech is active when one uses this TELNET program;

4.)     We tried several TELNET clients in 1997 in order to get one that
would work well in DOS sessions under Win 95. We found one at Columbia
University. Today, AFB computers are equipped with Kermit 95, and many of
us use the TELNET client that comes with Kermit 95. We have found this
client to work very well with ASAP following some key modifications which
Columbia people were generous to help us with. In particular, additional
specifications where made to Kermit to tell Kermit to ignore key presses
on the Nunumeric keypad. You can learn more about this at
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html.

5.)     We also have Lynx32 installed on computers at AFB. We believe we
were not fully understood, however, by the Lynx development folks who
ported Lynx to 32-bit Windows. At our suggestion, Lynx32 was provided with
programming to ignore the numeric key pad when NumLock is off--which is
why it works well with JAWS for DOS. This same functionality has not yet
been provided for screen readers, like ASAP, which require the NumLock key
to be on--which explains the behavior noted below.  There is a work
around, which is simple to issue the "cancel link" command, Ctrl-G, after
using the numeric key pad for screen review.

Special note about Kermit for Windows 95 -- I know that Columbia is
planning to make this a gui application. I do not know whether the current
release is gui or console. Our version is a PC Console application from
1997, and it works very very well with ASAP, but not with Vocal-Eyes as
far as we know.

                                Janina Sajka, Director
                                Information Systems Department
                                American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)