lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (II)

From: Ismael Cordeiro
Subject: Re: lynx-dev proposed revisions for gettext (II)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 22:36:42 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Henry Nelson wrote:

> > I support your proposition and I suggest also removing the TITLE from
> > the Print, Download and Options(forms) menus, and from the List, History
> > and Visited Links pages. Those can't be bookmarked anyway.
>
> This is getting a little bit away from my immediate goal, but I have felt
> the same thing that I think you are expressing here, i.e., the TITLE and
> H1 headline for each of these pages is the same, except that the headline
> contains the current version.

Exactly.

> What I've thought would be better, would be to put everything into the
> <TITLE> string, i.e., include the title and Lynx version number at the
> very top right of the screen, and remove the headline altogether. That
> would add two more lines to the page; nice for those of us who have lots
> of options and want them all on a single page.

Aesthetically, I prefer <h1>...</h1> but I wouldn't mind having it as
<title>...</title>.

> Actually, the person who did the reorganizing of the pages and the gzipped
> help pages originally had a link (or at least the idea of making a link)
> to the appropriate section of the help file.

Yes, a context help would be a good thing in Novice mode.

> But to get back to the gettext modifications, I think I would like to go
> with my original idea of giving a brief discription of the action to be
> taken, although ONLY in Novice mode, so in Advanced and Intermediate
> you'll get a concise listing. So my question, are there better ways to
> say:
>
> "Print" actions to take on the rendered document:
> Locally configured "Print" actions to take on the rendered document:

And I ask: Would a novice know what "rendered document" mean?

> A question for Jim, should we as Ismael suggests make the above two
> individual msgids, or should we try to separate and recycle them? If
> "actions to take on the rendered document" and "Locally configured" were
> the msgids, theoretically they could be used in other situations, the
> latter for example in the D)ownload menu.

I insist in keeping _all_ strings separate. Different languages have
different structures. For example, in English the adjective generally comes
before the noun while in Portuguese and French the adjective generally comes
after the noum. In Portuguese, French and Spanish the string

Locally configured "Print" actions to take on the rendered document:

would become something like this:

Actions for "printing" configured locally to be taken on the document
rendered:

I understand that split strings mean a slightly smaller code but they would
be hell for translators.

Ismael

       | ISMAEL CORDEIRO            | mailto:address@hidden      |
       | Production sound mixer     | http://www.ismael.cordeiro.com/ |
       | Montréal - Québec - Canada | ftp://ftp.cam.org/users/ismael/ |