lynx-dev

Fwd: Re: lynx-dev Setting homepage in Lynx

From: Lloyd G. Rasmussen
Subject: Fwd: Re: lynx-dev Setting homepage in Lynx
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 98 17:08:02 EST

----- Forwarded message begins here -----
From: Holzworth, Grant M.  <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 17:02:42 -0500
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Setting homepage in Lynx
Lloyd:

I found the problem.  It was the directory: "d:\program files".  For some
reason Lynx did not understand that there was a space between "program" and
"files" or couldn't see past it; therefore couldn't find the files I was
pointing to.  I moved the Lynx directory to the "D" route directory and
everything works fine.

Thanks for the help.
Regards,
Grant Holzworth

At 03:15 PM 12/3/98 -0500, you wrote:
>On Thu, 03 Dec 1998 14:31:31 -0500,
>Holzworth, Grant M.  <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>Lloyd:
>>
>>Thanks for the reply.  It didn't work.  I have this line in the lynx.cfg
file:

>>STARTFILE:file://localhost/C:/coolbook/coolbook.htm
>>
>>I'm still getting the 404 not found error.  After that error Lynx starts up
>>with the "www.mp3.com" link on the page.
>>
>>The cfg file is located in the same directory as lynx.exe and lynx.bat.
>>
>>Here is what is in my lynx.bat file:
>>@ECHO OFF
>>set term=vt100
>>set home=d:\program files\lynx
>>set temp=d:\program files\lynx\temp
>>set lynx_cfg=d:\program files\lynx\lynx.cfg
>>d:\program files\lynx\lynx.exe %1 %2 %3 %4 %5
>>
>>It looks as though Lynx is not looking at either the cfg or bat file.  It
>>seems to be looking somewhere else (ie why I'm getting the 404 not found
>>error).
>>

>Make sure the temp directory which you are pointing to really exists.
>Move the batch file to someplace on your path, so a simple Run command
>can run it; it could even be on the C: drive if you wished.  I would
>recommend that the batch file change into the drive and the directory
>which houses Lynx by including lines like
>  d:
>  cd \"program files"\lynx
>  I don't know if the quotes are necessary, but they wouldn't hurt,
>especially in Win95.
>
>I don't have NT, but I do run Lynx in Windows 95 with a screen reading
program
>called Vocal-Eyes and a speech synthesizer.
>
>>Also, where is this "Command Line" that keeps popping up in the
>>documentation?  Is it the command line in the bat file or the cfg file (or
>>neither?)?
>>

>In your case it would be the command line in the batch file.  Lynx
>does use the % parameters. Since Lynx is ported from Unix, it can be
>helpful, for commands which will be interpreted by Lynx and not by
>Windows, to use dashes for switches and slashes in path names.
>
>If you do succeed in getting Lynx running, try and go to "."  which
>is your current directory.  You can navigate all over that drive
>from there and bookmark the interesting files you find.  This will
>show you how Lynx wants local file URLs presented on your system.
>

>-- Lloyd Rasmussen
>Senior Staff Engineer, Engineering Section
>National Library Service for the  Blind and Physically Handicapped
>Library of Congress          202-707-0535
>(work)       address@hidden    http://www.loc.gov/nls/
>(home) address@hidden http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/lras/

Grant M. Holzworth           E-mail: address@hidden
GMH Associates, Inc.       http://www.gmhai.com
Tel: 1.704.558.3607           FAX: 1.704.347.4642

------ Forwarded message ends here ------