lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev line-crossing [tag] strings (was: Re: LYNX: more pleas for

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev line-crossing [tag] strings (was: Re: LYNX: more pleas for the L-page addrs)
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 08:24:43 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, Kim DeVaughn wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 1999, Klaus Weide (address@hidden) said:
>   [discussion of l-page rendering]
>
> Klaus,
>
> I am considering adding a bit of code to prevent [tags] from being [spli
> t] across lines, which will greatly simplify fixing everything up after
> a TEXTAREA expansion has occurred (see the new patch that I just posted
> a short while ago).
>
> Any reason you can think of why *preventing* line-crossers is not a good
> idea ...?

Right now I can't think of a reason why it would be bad.  In most normal
situations it doesn't happen - there's just an amazing number of unusual
situations that occur very rarely where it _can_ happen.  Before the
number removal code in HText_endAnchor (which no doubt you have enjoyed
reading by now :) ) was added, there was just no good reason to bother
much about it; when that was added, it probably seemed easier to make
the added code deal with it rather than prevent it completely.

There is some precedence for special handling (I think basically overriding
PRE) in HTML.c if we are "too close" to the right margin, in connection
with form fields (but not line numbers).  The better place for forcing
a premature break before line numbers would probably be in
HText_beginAnchor/HText_beginInput (haven't thought about it much though).

    Klaus