lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext

From: Webmaster Jim
Subject: Re: lynx-dev keeping lynx in sync with gettext
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 06:31:20 -0500

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 05:25:55AM -0500, address@hidden wrote:
> > > While trying to trace down those tracing msgs I mentioned a bit earlier,
> > > I found the following.  There appears to be quite a few instances of
> > > english being ouput directly to stderr rather than making use of
> > [...]
> > > A lot of the CTRACE calls are still feeding english to the output
> > [...]
> > > Finally, for those who have worked so hard on alternate language modules
> > > for lynx I have a question - are you also translating the help file, html
> > > files, and man pages?  Having those be available for download right along
> >
> > My opinion is that there is entirely too much CTRACE code in place.
> > It should all be able to be turned off with a compile time switch.
>
> my preference is to replace the existing CTRACE syntax with a macro that
> can be easily ifdef'd.  I left FM's structure intact because most of the
> effort in converting to the current form was validating the transformation -
> > PLEASE do not put all that debugging code in a gettext call.
>
> fine with me (I don't think it's worth making the debugging code i18n).

Right! I made the decision when reviewing the whole code base for
gettext conversion that the trace code should not be touched by language
conversion. As I pointed out sometime, the trace should lead you to C
code + English comments. You need to be able to read both of those well
enough to do something useful.

I *was* tempted to "improve" some of the messages in trace areas, but
left that for another day (qotd: opportunity knocks, but temptation
leans on the doorbell).

------
Marvin the Paranoid Android says:
What do you want?