lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev multiple ip sites

From: Bela Lubkin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev multiple ip sites
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 1999 17:23:43 -0800

Philip Webb wrote:

> > On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> >> Which version is that, on what operating system?
> >> Was it compiled on that system, or downloaded as binary?
> >> downloading and compiling a new version may solve your problem.
>
> 990210 Selah wrote:
> > The lynx version is 2.7.1. The os is SunOS 4.1.3_U1 1 sun4c.
> > Not sure the answers to the other questions - it was compiled by the isp.
>
> it's a pity KW didn't tell you himself:

We don't need these little barbs.  Even if you didn't intend it that way.

> the latest version of Lynx is 2-8-1 from  www.slcc.edu/lynx/release .
> assuming you have shell access, ie can compile C programs,
> you shouldn't have great difficulty getting it working;
> otherwise, ask your ISP to upgrade.
> give it a try & if you still see the problem, ask again here.

This is a known problem on Sun systems, has been discussed repeatedly
here.  It's a bug in the resolver library, can be fixed by downloading
and installing the appropriate Sun-provided "jumbo patch".  Actual patch
names can be found by searching various sources of Sun support
information (I would check the FAQ for the Solaris newsgroups).
Actually, see:

  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/lynx-dev/9606/0422.html
  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0497/msg01018.html
  http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month0497/msg01064.html

This is a FAQ; maybe someone can add it to the various Lynx FAQs?