lynx-dev

lynx-dev LYNX: p(rint) GRABS A FILE to show ITS OWN page!

From: David Combs
Subject: lynx-dev LYNX: p(rint) GRABS A FILE to show ITS OWN page!
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 10:30:37 -0800 (PST)

Right, it's a neat idea to code everything in html, even
the p(rint) page itself (assumint that is how it works).

Usually one doesn't even notice the delay, or even the
little display saying "getting /tmp/..." or whatever it says
(goes away quick, ... usually!).

However, like on netcom, where they are screwing us by
it gets slow sometimes.  REAL slow.

So for something as simple as the p(rint) page (and likely
other ones too), wouldn't it be easy to either
.  code the thing directly, via one big string, and just
      display it.
.  or, since I believe there are runtime options for what
      it shows, build the file ONCE, then when read in the
      FIRST time, SAVE it into a string, redoing this
      operation only when something about the display of the
      p(rint) page CHANGES.

Like, I never even knew that a file had to be read in (and
likely generated too) EACH TIME I did a p(rint), JUST to
display the p(rint) page ITSELF -- not until netcom recently
got so damn slow.  THEN, you really DO notice it!  Takes
a significant amount of time for just this "trivial" display.

---

Anyway, for those of you who don't run lynx on foreign machines,
or for whom those machines run as fast as netcom USED to,
you won't know what I am complaining about.

But I bet there are SOME of you who do...

David