lynx-dev

lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr

From: Laura Eaves
Subject: lynx-dev 8-bit chars and LYgetstr
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 00:29:04 -0500 (EST)

Sifting through the ifdef soup in LYStrings.c and the line edit bindings in
LYEditmap.c, it appears lynx is hardcoded to recognize only ISO-8859-1 on
input strings.  (This includes WHEREIS strings, goto buffer input, and form
text entry.)
This explains why my alt135 example doesn't work.  My display charset is cp437,
not ISO-8859-1.

This is wrong and should really be fixed before 2.8.2.
The question is, what should the behavior be?
How should lynx edit bindings respond to different display charsets?
Should commands for actions such as erase, enter, etc, have the same key
bindings for all charsets (like it is now)?  What about chars >= 128?

Comments welcome.
--le