lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev How to spawn an independent emacs window with the webpage i

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev How to spawn an independent emacs window with the webpage in it? (fwd)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:30:19 -0600 (CST)

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 address@hidden wrote:

> Would anyone else on the list try to help me out? The info needed is the
> environment variable of lynx that holds the file name of the homepage.

I don't think you want to just pass the "homepage" to the editor -
you want to pass the name of whatever file you want to edit wit 'e',
right?

> > > How to spawn an independent emacs window with the webpage in it?
> > >
> > > I need some assistance regarding a basic question in lynx. In the
> > > options I have emacs as my editor so that when I press e in a page,
> > > the emacs window is spawned on top of the lynx window in the X
> > > environment. The lynx window, however, goes blank. I want them to be
> > > working simultaneously. The solution is to spawn emacs in the
> > > background. For this I put an ampersand, which makes the two
> > > independent. The problem is that the emacs window is a scratch
> > > buffer.

The command that you are creating if you just set the editor to "emacs &"
will look like "emacs & /some/dir/some-filename".  That's of course the
wrong order, it could even be dangerous if the file is executable.

                   I need to find out the variable that contains the page
> > > name. Many people, I am sure have found out how to do this [...]

The filename is not passed in a variable but as an argument to the
editor command.  The following should work: make a simple script

   #!/bin/sh
   emacs "$@" &

make it executable and then give lynx the name (or path) of that script
as editor.  (This isn't tested, I don't normally use lynx in X.)

> > > Also the emacs that is spawned in the X environment has double
> > > spacing. I wonder how to fix it?

If there is double spacing that's probably what's really in the file -
there isn't anything lynx can do about it.  Maybe the file got messed
up while transferring it from one machine to another.

    Klaus