lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev mime.types file seems inactive

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: lynx-dev mime.types file seems inactive
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 15:37:38 -0800

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 08:25:09AM +0000, David Woolley wrote:
> <snip>
> Unfortunately, Microsoft have taken the view that it is better that the
> browser take precedence, presumably with the aim that Microsoft don't
> get blamed for misconfigured servers.
<snip>

Just a note for my fellow Americans (Canadians too?  Aussies?):

Just in case some don't know it, that sentence, with the wrong-looking
"have taken" and the "don't get blamed" IS proper "(British) English".

The British version of English takes companies as PLURAL nouns,
whereas (we) Americans (and who else?) takes them as SINGULAR nouns:

    That company HAS done terrible things.  (guess what company!)

I think the British would use "have" instead of "has".

I think I'm right on this; never seen it in writing, but
you sure hear or see this difference all the time.

David