lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev next/prev relative number command suffixes

From: Philip Webb
Subject: Re: lynx-dev next/prev relative number command suffixes
Date: Sat, 27 Feb 1999 21:44:57 -0500 (EST)

990227 Jacob Poon wrote:
> The syntax is a little awkward.
> The +|- sign should be put in front of the numbers.

really! as soon as Lynx sees  +  or  - , it does something else ...

LE> I agree, but + and - are already keystroke commands.
LE> A compromise would be to use  0+5g .  Comments welcome.

what is there to compromise about?

> I think there is a slight confusion here.

yes.

> You are patching F_LINK_NUM command, right?
> Since your current scheme describes the texts
> to be entered in the prompt after invoking F_LINK_NUM,
> not the actual keystroke involved for using F_LINK_NUM feature,
> whether the +/- keys are reserved or not should not matter at all.

see first comment ...
really, when LE has gone to the trouble of creating the code
for a clear improvement in Lynx manoeuvrability,
she deserves a more thoughtful & accurate response than this.

LE> I patched F_LINK_NUM , but the user needs to type a numeric key
LE> to reach that code in the first place.

exactly.

> F_LINK_NUM can be binded to any key through  lynx.cfg .
> But  +  and  -  are on the keypad,
> so there is no distinct disadvantage for putting signs first.

in that case, why the fuss?

LE> Would typing  0+1g  be less awkward / more natural than  1+g ?
LE> If there's enough interest I'll correct my patch to accept that syntax.

no, please don't: users will learn how to use the new commands very easily.

>  0+1g  is more consistent because Users will be more aware
> of the differences between relative and absolute links.
> If the first character is signed, it is a relative link, otherwise not.
> by putting signs behind numbers, users will not aware a mistype
> until after reading through the numbers.
-- RPN snipped --

if we were writing a logic textbook -- i have taught from more than one -- ,
your point about consistency would be appropriate;
here it simply makes a simple enough key-sequence more fussy.