lynx-dev

Re: Where are we Headed? (was lynx-dev The Lynx TODO list )

From: John Bley
Subject: Re: Where are we Headed? (was lynx-dev The Lynx TODO list )
Date: Sun, 2 May 1999 14:53:28 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 1 May 1999, David Woolley wrote:

> XML is often misunderstood.  It is an enabling technology for structured
> documents.  Like HTML is is a derivative of SGML, but unlike HTML, there
> is no fixed set of tags, except for two or three core ones.  It is
> intended as a simplified alternative to SGML, which doesn't require
> a DTD to enable it to be parsed.
Fortunately, there is a good open-source XML parsing system available
named expat.   Mozilla is using it now.  Knowing absolutely nothing about
lynx's parsing subsystem, I can't imagine it'd be *too* difficult to
actually incorporate the parser into lynx.  Hooking the parser up to
actual effects, of course, requires work.

> Generally though, most web users will see a few specific applications of XML,
> and it those applications they will be interested in not the general
> capabilities.  There is MathML, a language for mathematical formulae and
> there are probably solid modelling 'MLs, and there is work on a vector
> graphics one.
This last one is of particular interest to lynx.  SVG (Scalable Vector
Graphics) is being worked on by the w3c.  It is essentially a structured
text description of how to draw the image.  It includes what are
essentially "alt" tags for two different levels: one for the image as a
whole, and ones for different portions of the image at the author's
discretion.  I doubt *too* many people will bother with these alt-type
tags, but even so, it provides advantages for lynx: any text drawn into
the image is still text, and the structured graphics description could allow
for it to be "described" automatically.  For instance, click on the image
and it generates a paragraph like "There is a circle.  Inside the circle
is the text 'Foo.'  Below the circle is a square.  Inside the square is the
text 'Bar.'"  Obviously, this wouldn't be too scalable for complex things,
but for company logos and those obnoxious "word" button-images, it'd be
great for lynx users (and the blind).

SVG is probably a year away from being standardized, which means it'll
probably be two years before either browser supports it.  There's a
recent draft at www.w3c.org somewhere.

> There seem no signs that anyone has the resources to spare to implement
> CSS; have you?
In which specification are fixed-position entities described?  They're
meant as a "toolbar" substitute for frames, and would be pretty damn
handy to get right in lynx.

--
John Bley - address@hidden
Duke '99 - English/Computer Science