lynx-dev

lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: lynx-dev changing the installed lynx's directory layout
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 15:44:04 +0500 (SAMST)

  I propose to change the directory structure in which lynx installs.
Currently binary goes to $(prefix)/bin/lynx, and help files go to
$(prefix)/lynx_help. I suggest binary to go where it does now, but for other
files I suggest creating directory $(prefix)/lynx , and put everything there.
Help should go to $(prefix)/lynx/help (instead of $(prefix)/lynx_help).
May be it will be useful to put lynx.cfg in $(prefix)/lynx/config/main.cfg,
and split current lynx.cfg into several files by category (one file for
KEYMAP, one file for SUFFIX, one for DOWNLOADER/PRINTER, one for *_PROXY,
 etc) and put each of them in $(prefix)/lynx/config/. They will be included by
$(prefix)/lynx/config/main.cfg.

 Such move is desirebale for several reasons:

* IMO we should have a directory where various scripts will go. There is no
place to put scripts to with current directory layout. I hope piping
will be implemented in 2.8.3, so we have to put scripts additional scripts.
Now we have several commands that invoke scripts or use arbitary command (like
VIEWER, UPLOADER, DOWNLOADER, PRINTER), so some sample scripts will be
helpful (but there is no place to install them to).
  When piping will be implemented, I will write at least 1 script. Also there
are several useful scripts at Klaus homepage that do html table rendering.
This will be $(prefix)/lynx/bin

* If key sequences will be implemented, then there (I hope) will be several
bindings (so user will choose what to load by including approptiate bindings)

* If shared cookies will be implemented (such that persistent cookies will be
  shared by  all copies of lynx), there should be a place to put them. IMO it
 will be nice to put them to $(prefix)/lynx/.

* Anyway, 2.8.2 will be released soon, so we can make such "revolutional"
change. May be we can avoid placing lynx.cfg in $(prefix)/lynx/config/ in
2.8.2, but it worse starting a separate directory for lynx in 2.8.2 (at least
for help) - it won't hurt people IMO.

Any ideas?

 Best regards,
  -Vlad