lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Table support?

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Table support?
Date: Thu, 6 May 1999 17:23:59 -0400

On Thu, May 06, 1999 at 07:10:09AM -0700, David Combs wrote:

> Or if we can get scrolling, then maybe optionally
> just the two-dim example:
>

> > >  +--------------+--------------+
> > >  |  row1 cell1  |  row1 cell2  |
> > >  +--------------+--------------+
> > >  |  row2 cell1  |  row2 cell2  |
> > >  +--------------+--------------+
> > >

> Like, whatever it takes in width, do it.

The problem is it's impossible to know "whatever it takes in width"
until you've gone through the whole table once.  Lynx does everything
in a single pass for speed, and if "row2 cell1" requires more width
than "row1 cell1", you have to go back and rerender the first row again.

> Also as option, a "flip rows/cols" cmd:  Sometimes you are
> reading mainly ACROSS, by row, and sometimes you are
> reading DOWN a column (eg a schedule, where days goes
> across the top: mon, tue, wed, ..., and you want to
> see what's happening TODAY).

I think this would be more trouble than it's worth.  The whole page would
have to be rerendered, and the problems associated with trying to do it
in a single pass would be compounded by the fact that the whole table
would have to be rearranged in memory before rendering.

Chuck