lynx-dev

lynx-dev Confused by lynx error message... help!

From: Dave Taylor
Subject: lynx-dev Confused by lynx error message... help!
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 07:41:31 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings Lynx developers!

I'm using lynx in batch mode to do remote searches and return the results
as raw HTML, and it works like a charm 99% of the time, but sporadically
I'll see:

   lynx: Can't access startfile
http://search.auctions.yahoo.com/search/auc?p=spangle+the+bear

But what's confusing is that I'll do another query with the same script
and it'll work just fine.

I'm running:

  % lynx -version
  Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998)
  Copyrights held by the University of Kansas, CERN, and other contributors.
  Distributed under the GNU General Public License.
  See http://lynx.browser.org/ and the online help for more information.

On RedHat Linux r6.0.

The invocation is:

   % lynx -source http://search.auctions.yahoo.com/search/auc?p=$pattern

and the output is fed to a variety of Unix commands to extract the
specific information I seek.

Can anyone offer any ideas or insight on how to understand and avoid
this problem in the future?

Thanks!

Dave Taylor                                         address@hidden
President                                         http://www.intuitive.com/
Intuitive Systems                                      ICQ: 37334237
My latest books:
  "Creating Cool HTML 4 Web Pages"               www.intuitive.com/coolweb/
  "Teach Yourself Unix in 24 Hours" 2nd Ed.      www.intuitive.com/tyu24/