lynx-dev

lynx-dev problems with macro LINKEDSTYLES (why it's defined if --enable-

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: lynx-dev problems with macro LINKEDSTYLES (why it's defined if --enable-color-style?)
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 03:03:27 +0500 (SAMST)

 If --enable-color-style is specified to 'configure', several macros (and
LINKEDSTYLES among them are defined). Currently this macro is used only once
in HTML.c:*start_element. If this macro is defined (and it is defined by
configure if --enable-color-style is specified) lynx will try to  load css
style sheet and will try to parse it as lss style sheet (so it will
definitely fail or may be dump core - don't remember exactly). Several
month ago I wrapped the piece of code that tries to parse  remote css as lss
in '#if 0/#endif' - eg disabled it (and my comments remain in the code).
I checked HTML.c today and found that this block of code is now wrapped in
'#ifdef LINKEDSTYLES/#endif' - ie this means that wrong behavior of lynx is
restored again.

 So I recommend to not define LINKEDSTYLES if --enable-color-style switch was
specifed to configure.

 Seems this is a serious problem - seems that DocBook or some other DTD gets
translated into html that contains references to css, so a wide variety of
documentation that was produced by translating from DocBook DTD or that
some other DTD will make lynx crashing (I had problems with some RedHat
documentation - lynx crashed on it).

 Best regards,
  -Vlad