lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Configuration Info
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:25:47 +0900 (JST)

> trying to find the server homepage, but then it stops and complains
> about not finding "startfile". I looked at the lynx.cfg and at the MAN
> page but both are totally confusing :(

Your answers are contained in the annotations in lynx.cfg.  The section
you are looking for is "STARTFILE."  Was this your problem, i.e., did
you search for "startfile" (all lower case) and then not find anything?
I am quoting the section here because we would like to know what is
confusing you so that we may reword the document to make it less so.
PLEASE, by all means respond.  Is the lynx.cfg available to you but devoid
of comments?  If so, you can get an up-to-date, complete one at:
        http://www.slcc.edu/lynx/current/lynx2-8-3/lynx.cfg

# STARTFILE is the default starting URL if none is specified
#   on the command line or via a WWW_HOME environment variable;
#   Lynx will refuse to start without a starting URL of some kind.
# STARTFILE can be remote, e.g. http://www.w3.org/default.html ,
#                or local, e.g. file://localhost/PATH_TO/FILENAME ,
#           where PATH_TO is replaced with the complete path to FILENAME
#           using Unix shell syntax and including the device on VMS.
#
# Normally we expect you will connect to a remote site, e.g., the Lynx starting
# site:
STARTFILE:http://lynx.browser.org/
#
# As an alternative, you may want to use a local URL.  A good choice for this is
# the user's home directory:
#STARTFILE:file://localhost/~/
#
# Your choice of STARTFILE should reflect your site's needs, and be a URL that
# you can connect to reliably.  Otherwise users will become confused and think
# that they cannot run Lynx.

__Henry