lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx and hotmail

From: Heather
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx and hotmail
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 11:35:04 -0700 (PDT)

> On Tue, Aug 03, 1999, Philip Webb (address@hidden) said:
> |
> | 990803 Mike Bisset wrote to me & someone else:
> | >
> | > I saw you discussing Lynx and hotmail on the web
> | > (a Yahoo search pulled up your discussion).
> | > Can you tell me how to use hotmail with Lynx?  By Lynx I mean
>
> I don't know about the "blank screen" problem, but ...

Historical comment style perhaps??

> For reasons of "national security" (idiotic ITAR restrictions against
> exporting "munitions" [crypto technology]), and possible patent issues
> WRT use of the RSA algorithms involved in SSL, lynx is not available
> with SSL support in a "packaged" form.
>
> There are, however, patches available for the latest (non-dev) release
> of lynx (2.8.2rel.1), as well as a couple publically available SSL
> libraries from sites outside the US, where the above idiocy doesn't
> apply.

Similarly, the idiocy does not apply to www.replay.com (it's in the
Netherlands) where SSL'd versions of lynx and many other affected
crypto products are available as RedHat packages.

The URL for the binary they have posted presently is
ftp://ftp.replay.com/pub/replay/pub/redhat/i386/lynx-ssl-2.8.1-1.i386.rpm

...which would be suitable for a Linux user unfamiliar with compiling on
their own.  It will likely need the openSSL package, which replay also offers.

They have the src RPM as well, where I presume the applicable patches are
already integrated.

I don't know if Mr. Bisset is on Linux, but if so this is probably his short
term solution.

(Perhaps someone could aid replay to update their base version?)

> To get the materials needed to build up an SSL'ified lynx, hit the
> HELP key (?) in lynx, select the "Lynxstuff" link, and follow the
> links related to SSL (there are FAQ's, and links to the libs needed,
> etc).
>
> Note that you may (read: probably will) need to futz around with the
> lynx patch for 2.8.2rel.1, if you want to apply it to one of the more
> recent -dev.N versions.
>
> I started to build up an SSL'ified lynx a couple weeks ago, but haven't
> done more than collect the various pieces, so far.

If you are not trapped behind the Stars-n-Stripes curtain, perhaps you
could offer the adjusted tree to replay when you are done.

> Have fun :-) .
>
> Idiotic damned PITA ...!...
>
> /kim
>
> >From the hotmail site:
[ bla bla bla ]
>    security. You may experience problems accessing your account if:
>      * Your browser doesn't support SSL
> [ oh well, get a real browser. ]
>        you use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator, versions 3.0 or
>        higher.

Hmm, perhaps as we feel more comfy saying we are compatible with all these
BigTwo-isms, we should upgrade our whole version number, so webmasters feel
better just slipping the word "lynx" into their get-a-newer-browser rants?

>      * SSL is disabled in your current browser.
> [ you need to turn it back on ]
>      * You are behind a firewall or proxy.
> [ tough luck dude, ask your admin.]
> [stuff about cookie and other problems snipped ... yadda yadda yadda ...]

* Heather