lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "press q to quit". Say WHAT gets quitted!

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: Re: lynx-dev LYNX: "press q to quit". Say WHAT gets quitted!
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 07:31:07 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, David Combs wrote:

> That message "press q to quit", which occurs at various places,
> MUST (to avoid anxiety) say WHAT it is that gets exited.
>
> Otherwise, in the middle of a long order to eg amazon.com,
> you type "p", and get some wierd page it constructs or something
> (this is during the check-out procedure), and "H" doesn't work
> (or h?) gets help (not going back one level, as planned),
> the only option is that "press q to quit" at the bottom.

I just searched through the lynx sources and can't find any place
that says "press q to quit". The nearest I can find is the MOREHELP
message. Are you sure that this message comes from lynx? It sounds
like you might be confusing text entry into their forms versus
commands to lynx. If you are typing "p", this must almost certainly be
something to type into a text entry form, since it will get you the
print choices in lynx. See "K" for the keymaps. You may be looking for
CTRL-V (to control lynx within text entry areas). Once in lynx command
mode rather than text entry mode you have several options, including
going to the history page, the visited links page, going back 1 page,
etc.
                                Doug
__
Doug Kaufman