lynx-dev

lynx for Win3.1 (Was Re: lynx-dev love)

From: Doug Kaufman
Subject: lynx for Win3.1 (Was Re: lynx-dev love)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:02:12 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Arcadi Garcia wrote:

> I'm interested in downloading the lynx browser for a 3.1 windows
> computer with 2 mb RAM memory.Can you give me a direction:

Until recently, we would have told you that this couldn't be done.
There is still no binary that works through the Windows winsock.
The binary from my site will work with DOSPPP in a DOS window under
Win3.1. You will have to read the documentation and do some setup. If
you are willing to try, get it at:
"http://www.rahul.net/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.5-DOS.zip"; or
"ftp://ftp.rahul.net/pub/dkaufman/lynx2.8.3dev.5-DOS.zip";

This is relatively new, so no guarantees about how well it will work
for you. I don't know that anyone has tried to run this with only 2
Meg of memory, but if the binary can load into memory, it will use
disk space for virtual memory as needed. If you try this, please give
feedback about how well it works. Write to me if you have trouble with
setup after you have read the text files in the package.
                                   Doug
__
Doug Kaufman
Internet: address@hidden (preferred)