lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx 2.8.3.dev8: CPU problems connecting to a site
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 20:29:51 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 29 Aug 1999, Frederic L . W . Meunier wrote:

> Vlad Harchev <address@hidden> wrote:
> >Sorry for confusion -you don't use justification-enabled lynx, so part of my
>
> Was using in dev.7, but I got a lot of strange results, like various
> spaces in the HTML text.

 Wait for hyphenation then - this will solve such problems with justfication
(this is not bug in the algorithm, this is due to inability to break long
sequence of characters - same results will be seen for 'man')... I chose the
library to use for hyphenation, but it seems incomplete - the key
preprocessing script is missing, so I'm waiting for reply from the author of
that library - Raph Levien.

> >Now IMO it's due to the use of new gcc. Did you override CFLAGS when
> >compiling lynx?
>
> Yes, I have set CFLAGS to -O6 -malign-loops=2 malign-jumps=2
> -malign-functions=2. Maybe I should stop using CFLAGS for Lynx again. I
> didn't see any differences, only a smaller binary. And with this it's
> impossible to help you! I have gcc 2.7.2.3 too if the compiler is the
> problem.
>
> >Can you compile lynx without optimizations and with debugging info:
> >CFLAGS=-g3 -O0 ./configure --your-favourite-switches
>
> Yes, wait some hours. Need to --enable-debug or it's what I get whit
> this CFLAGS?

 I don't know what  --enable-debug does.

> >If it still hangs, can you attach to the lynx with gdb and make 'bt' (to see
> >in which function lynx is spending all time)?
>
> Will have to read the gdc docs. Never used 'bt'.

The entire sequence:
$ ps -C lynx #to get the pid of that lynx.
$ gdb
file /usr/local/bin/lynx       #the path to the binary
at PID       #the pid that ps -C reported
bt              #the stack trace of functions will be reported

 And mail it here.

> I tried this site again now, and yes, it eats all the CPU. Third time.
>
> Another question is regarding color support. If you enable lss you
> can't use the lynx.cfg colors? When I call lynx without -lss=file it
> loads up the lss things (from /usr/local/lib/lynx.lss I think). If I
> move this file, I only get a black/white Lynx and in the commandline
> some strange characters, like y╗y╗y╗y╗y╗, sometimes with red or brown
> as the background (only for those characters). I don't think it's a
> problem with my TERM variable or ncurses. I use the same scheme with
> Mutt and it works fine. I set TERM to rxvt but tried xterm-color too,
> getting the same result. Worked fine with dev.6 but compiled with
> S-Lang 1.3.8.

 Yes, lynx.cfg color settings are ignored by lss-enabled lynx.
 As for stuff you see with missing .lss file - seems some structures are not
initialized - that produces such results IMO.

 You could also try other 2 .lss files in /samples directory if you haven't.

> --
> Frederic L. W. Meunier \ address@hidden,urbi.com.br}
> IRC: _19751127!date \ Tel: +55-21-620-7173 \ Niteroi, RJ - Brasil

 Best regards,
  -Vlad