lynx-dev

Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)

From: Janina Sajka
Subject: Re: problems for blind users (was: lynx-dev Licensing Lynx)
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 16:00:35 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 6 Oct 1999, karen lewellen wrote:

> i have yet to learn what lynx 32 requires.  I am using lynx386, a kit which
> uses v 2.8.1 of lynx.  i am presently runing DOS but am considering
> integrating linux.
Lynx32 requires Windows 95 or higher, so it isn't an option for you
because you're running DOS.
> i will try and explain.  with some program the speech is writen to the bios,
> allowing for automatic, or almost automatic output.  for example net-tame
> has a function that allows for this.   granted, i can get wonderful speech
> when i use my speech commands, and when i move the cerser keys.  but it will
> not read on its own.  i hope that is more clear.  do you get such speech,
> and if so what programs are you using?  i am new to this list, and as i
> said, still getting a sens of the various personifications of lynx.

Yes, new screens of data are read automatically for me with my
configuration. In my case, bios writes are not required. As I mentioned
in my last note, I'm using asap and an internal Doubletalk speech
synthesizer.

> as to hardwhere, i have both a dec-talk express and a readingedge. i am
> presently using the edge at the moment.  i am runing busines vision/
> wind-vision by artic.
Wait a minute. WinVision is a Windows screen reader. Are you, or are you
not, running Windows?

Both the Reading Edge stand alone scanner with built in DEC Talk speech,
and Business Vision for DOS by Artic Technologies are pretty old
technology. You do not say what kind of DEC Talk you have, or it's
firmware revision number. In either case, you might want to try running
with JAWS for DOS which is now free from http://www.hj.com. It works very
well with Lynx386 and should support even older DEC Talk's quite well.

Otherwise, you may not get automatic reading of new screens with your
older technology. You are correct that supporting bios writes would
facilitate the support of older speech technology, but I would not expect
much more development from Lynx386--though others may correct me about
that.
As I said in my last note, Real Audio is supported under Lynx32. But your
note is not clear about what you're using. Real Audio will definitely not

                                Janina Sajka, Director
                                Information Systems Research & Development
                                American Foundation for the Blind (AFB)

address@hidden

work under DOS. > There are several tweaks in your autoexec as