lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev outgoing_mail_charset (was: megapatch)

From: Vlad Harchev
Subject: Re: lynx-dev outgoing_mail_charset (was: megapatch)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 15:39:28 +0500 (SAMST)

On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Oct 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:
>
> > Yes, I was unhappy with all this special cases LY_BOLD_*, LY_SOFT_HYPHEN,
> > backspaces (no idea about it et all) and such.

> Just get rid of LY_BOLD_START_CHAR, LY_BOLD_END_CHAR, LY_UNDERLINE_START_CHAR,
> and LY_UNDERLINE_END_CHAR from the text, the rest may sort itself out
> automatically...  (should be tested though)
>
> I think a new incarnation of print_wwwfile_to_fd, maybe
> print_translated_wwwfile_to_fd (which takes an additional charset
> handle parameter) would be the way to go, rather than putting
> more different cases within the existing function.  Better now
> before it's to late because print_wwwfile_to_fd has become another
> too-complex megamulti-purpose function where no-one understands all
> the cases...

 Is it so complex? I don't believe you..

> The new function can forget about the DUMP_WITH_BACKSPACES stuff
> and the LY_SOFT_HYPHEN stuff (it should be handled in the LYUCTrans*
> function if there really are LY_SOFT_HYPHENs (which is rare)).
> The LY_BOLD_* etc. could be removed by calling remove_special_attr_chars
> (or doing the equivalent thing by hand) after a full line has been
> collected.  LYK_SOFT_NEWLINEs should probably be consumed before that,
> to splice lines together.

 FYI, DUMP_WITH_BACKSPACES works by emitting LY_BOLD_* and LY_UNDERLINE_* in
the HText for lss-enabled lynx, and doesn't modify HText in other case.
 To avoid any possible problems (and to forget about emitted backspaces) IMO
it's better to restrict the use of '-dump-with-backspaces' so that it will
be allowed only in combination with '-dump' or '-crawl'. Such restruictions
solves the problems as I understand (since mail sending can't be triggered in
'dump' or 'crawl' mode).
 As for how rare LY_SOFT_HYPHENs are  - they won't be rare if hyphenation is
enabled.

>[...]

 Best regards,
  -Vlad