lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev something wrong with LYNXKEYMAP
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 03:19:54 +0900 (JST)

> So is only the displayed list wrong, or are the actual key actions wrong

Only the displayed list is wrong.  The keypad works as intended, but to
make it do so, I have to edit lynx.cfg.  For a "normal" 106-key Japanese
keyboard, using TeraTerm, the six-key pad is given by the following,
with the actual codes and the actions taken by Lynx on the right:

KEYMAP:0x106:UP_TWO     # Insert    (^[[1~) - Move display up two lines
KEYMAP:0x10B:DOWN_TWO   # Delete    (^[[4~) - Move display down two lines
KEYMAP:0x10C:HOME       # Home      (^[[2~) - Go to top of current document
KEYMAP:0x105:END        # End       (^[[5~) - Go to bottom of current document
KEYMAP:0x10D:PREV_PAGE  # Page Up   (^[[3~) - Move up to previous page
KEYMAP:0x107:NEXT_PAGE  # Page Down (^[[6~) - Move down to next page

AFAICT, LYNXKEYMAP is using the keymap in lynx.cfg to define the function.
This seems to be entirely arbitrary.  How is one to know how Lynx *should*
act upon pressing a key?  If Lynx doesn't go to the bottom of the page when
you press [End], then you've got to modify your lynx.cfg (not everyone is
in a position to fool with termcap/terminfo descriptions).  It seems to me
that the key and the function should be universal, and the description given
on the key-map page should reflect this correspondence.  If I press the
physical Insert key given the default mappings (what are they anyway, some
antiquated vt100?), I'd end up going to the top of the page, as the
description would then say, but that's not what the original key binding was
intended for that key in Lynx.  Somehow the correspondence between key and
function has changed to key and some unknown "code".

__Henry