lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation

From: Kim DeVaughn
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Cookies and command line operation
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 06:48:25 -0600

On Wed, Oct 20, 1999, Patrick Payne (address@hidden) said:

| Version: Lynx Version 2.8.1rel.2 (1998)

| lynx -nolist -source -accept_all_cookies
| -cookie_file=/tmp/cookie.file http://mail.yahoo.com
|
| While this command works, the cookie does not get written
| out to disk (/tmp/cookie.file).  Any attempts to proceed to
| the next page fails (yahoo complains of no cookie)

| Is there another switch I have to set???

I *think* (IIRC) that in 2.8.1rel.2, the PERSISTENT_COOKIES option in
the lynx.cfg file was defaulted to FALSE.  You need to set that to
TRUE (and you might also look over the other cookie related entries
in lynx.cfg to be sure they are alright).

Also, cookie handling has been much improved since the 2.8.1 release,
and you should upgrade to at least 2.8.2rel.1 (2.8.3 will be released
fairly soon, so you might want to try one of the development versions,
such as the current 2.8.3dev.12, which is pretty stable).  BTW, in
2.8.2rel.1 and beyond, PERSISTENT_COOKIES is defaulted to TRUE. since
the cookie code became much more stable in the later versions.

If my memory is faulty in the above, I'm sure someone on the list
will correct me ...

/kim

PS: This is cc'd to you directly, since with a @yahoo email address, it
    isn't clear to me whether you are subscribed to the lynx-dev mailing
    list, which is where your original question was sent.  If you are
    not subscribed, you probably should do so ... at least until your
    problem is resolved.