lynx-dev

more TRST support (was: Re: lynx-dev another largish patch)

From: Leonid Pauzner
Subject: more TRST support (was: Re: lynx-dev another largish patch)
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 19:22:15 +0400 (MSD)

26-Oct-99 08:22 Klaus Weide wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, Leonid Pauzner wrote:

>> 26-Oct-99 01:48 Klaus Weide wrote:
>>
>> > * Added support for ROWSPAN attribute of TD and TH to TRST.  This only
>> >   reserves the appropriate amount of space in subsequent lines.
>>
>> Is it possible to add support for COL/COLGROUP align= (and span=)
>> attributes to keep inheritance with TD,TH,TR... own align= attributes?
>>
>> Currently COL/COLGROUP align= attribute just ignored.

>  From the comments in TRSTable.c:

> **  Missing, but can be added:
> **  - Support for COLGROUP/COL
> **  - [ ... ]

I saw this. I think checking of align= attr and span/repeat numbers
is not a big problem when all elements (TABLE, THEAD?, TBODY?, TR, TD, TH)
already understands align= attributes.

> Do you have any real examples (of tables that TRST can handle, and not
> just W3C examples) where COLGROUP/COL is used?

No. Perhaps major html mastering tools do not know about this
(or perhaps this is intentional for HTML3.2 compatible browsers benefit).
Well, this type of alignment could be done directly by adding an attribute
to each respective <TD> and <TH> elements but this is not error prone
unless you prepare the page with a mastering tool.

I just construct my own table and found out a useful attribute.
IMHO, raws and columns should behave in rather symmetrical way,
that is why bgcolor= may be introduced in raws OR columns (not the case
in HTML4.0, perhaps due to conflict resolving issues)
and [horizontal] align= attribute more preferred in column element
rather than in <TR> or many <TD>'s.