lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev nothing changes/no way to save changes on O)ption page
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:33:36 +0900 (JST)

> be quiet.  I admit it is mostly because I feel that folloing through
> with your proposal would inconvenience *me*.  (Still I think I am not

Could you be more explicit?  Are you speaking as a user or as a developer
who needs both compiled in in order to toggle quickly between behaviors
for comparison/debugging?  IOW, how exactly are you inconvenienced by
having only one or the other available (can't use both at the same time)?

I'd like to continue the discussion about the present situation, and how
it might be made simpler.

I think another viable option, and better than the present situation, would
be to offer "both" OR "menu only", and drop "forms only."  (Make the forms
folk suffer!)

The following two descriptions of the configure options are offered in
INSTALLATION:

  --disable-forms-options               (define NO_OPTION_FORMS)
        Disable the forms-based options screen.  (See --disable-menu-options).
        Please note that a few users with broken curses may have problems with
        popup forms fields.  The default behaviour is to compile both forms and
        menu options code with FORMS_OPTIONS switch in lynx.cfg, or
        -forms_options command-line switch.

  --disable-menu-options                (define NO_OPTION_MENU)
        Disable the menu-style options screen.  (See --disable-forms-options).
        Please note that a few users with broken curses may have problems with
        popup forms fields.  The default behaviour is to compile both styles
        options menu code with FORMS_OPTIONS switch in lynx.cfg, or
        -forms_options command-line switch.

1)  Is it easier to have two yes/no options than to have one option like
    --options=(forms|menu|both)?

2)  (I've asked about this before, but) why the exact same sentence "Please
    note that a few users with broken curses may have problems with popup
    forms fields."?  I think the sentence should only be in the description
    for the option that may cause problems.  Without careful reading, it
    might be taken as a warning not to compile in either of them so as to
    avoid popping up problems, i.e., define BOTH --disable-forms-options
    AND --disable-menu-options (= no options of any kind).

3)  The last sentence of both descriptions is not crystal-clear to me.
    (Don't ask me to rewrite it since I am not a proponent of that default
    behavior :)

__Henry