lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?

From: G Browne
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Would an Outline View be feasible?
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 16:48:54 -0500 (EST)

Klaus Weide wrote:

>Maybe you should give a fuller description of
>what you intend. Regarding the user interface:
>how should that mode be invoked -
>a toggle key? a special URL scheme? a special link?

Outline View should be available for any web page, so a toggle key would
work best to enter/exit this new mode. Is CTRL-O available?

>Regarding the function: What should be displayed?
>Should it be "active" in some way?

Each heading should be prefixed with a single character to mark and control
its "collapsed" or "expanded" state: I'd suggest "+" and "-" respectively.
This marker would be active and work somewhat like a hyperlink: it would
appear highlighted, and the user could navigate the cursor to each marker.

When a heading marker is selected, two dedicated keys would perform Collapse
or Expand for that heading, one level at a time. Since + and - keys are in
use, could CTRL-Plus and CTRL-Minus work? Else some mnemonic keys, perhaps C
and E?

>I think such a feature would be feasible, without too many changes.

Does that still hold true in light of my detailed description?

>regarding MS Word, that doesn't have
>much to do with HTML...

Word97 and 2000 support HTML as a native file format. Older Word versions
require the free Internet Assistant add-in to read/write HTML. All versions
of Word have a View | Outline command which works great for HTML. Newer
versions provide an additional outline-oriented supplementary View called
"Document Map" which also works with HTML.

>the way output is suppressed if LYMapsOnly is set
>may serve as a template for what you want.

Browsing the HTML_ functions in html.c begins to give me an idea of how lynx
controls its output. Is there any overview available of how the parsing and
display processes interact?

FREE Email for ALL! Sign up at http://www.mail.com