lynx-dev

lynx-dev Re: external table filtering (was: TRST : the next step)

From: Hataguchi Takeshi
Subject: lynx-dev Re: external table filtering (was: TRST : the next step)
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 14:01:18 +0900 (JST)

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Hataguchi Takeshi wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 17 Nov 1999, Klaus Weide wrote:
> > > Also try his proxy in <http://www.mich.com/~thomas/ftp/lxtab0.5.tar.gz>.
> >
> > I had modified his script t2thtml and made it public at
> >     http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/lynx/enhanced/t2thtml
> > This is able to render nested tables better than original does
> > (I believe).
> Have you submitted your changes to Tom?  Have you tried to ask Subir
> (address@hidden) to add a link?

I had sent a mail to Tom (address@hidden) but I got no answer.
I'll send him again from now.

I've never asked Subir to add a link. There are two reasons.
One is I think few people are interested in my scrips because
no one response my first announcement.
Another is I have almost only Japanese documents.
I'll ask him after writing a little more documents in English.

> I made some further changes.  You can find my current version under
>    <http://enteract.com/~kweide/lynx/lxtab/>

I tried and found it works fine. Thanks.

> It seems you have introduced a new problem (that I have not fixed).
> Look at the ocaa2 document.  Tables 3-1, 3.2, and 3-5 now contain
> (lots of) "&nbsp;" in the rendered output.  Can you fix this?

I fixed it by converting &nbsp; to space.

> > The script is designed as a filter not as a part of proxy.
>
> I am testing and using it under the proxy.  There isn't anything
> in the design that makes it unfit for that.

You are right! Please forget what I wrote.

> I have also changed the proxy code (quite a lot), it is also under
>   <http://enteract.com/~kweide/lynx/lxtab/>.

I saw your code but havn't tried yet. I think it's great and works fine.

> Btw. what do you think of my idea in
> <http://www.flora.org/lynx-dev/html/month1199/msg00398.html>,
> "something that preprocesses
>
>  <TR><TD>Blah<br>more blah</TD><TD>Other blah<br>more other blah</TD></TR>
>
> into
>
>  <TR><TD>Blah             </TD><TD>Other blah                   </TD></TR>
>  <TR><TD>        more blah</TD><TD>               more otherblah</TD></TR>"?
>
> I haven't learned enough about gawk and t2thtml yet, but since you have
> modified t2thtml a lot I assume you understand it well.  Would it be
> easy to change it to do the above instead of formatting everythin
> as <PRE>?  If yes, could you try to do it :) ?

Yes and I've tried. Please try this.

    http://www.t3.rim.or.jp/~patakuti/tmp/t2thtml

I added two new options: "usepre" and "usetable".
"usepre" means convert tables to preformatted text as old one does.
"usetable" means convert tables to tables as you wrote
(which is fitted for TRST support Lynx)

I tried this way. I think the output is GREAT!
    % t2thtml usetable ocaa.html > foo.html
    % lynx -dump -width=200 foo.html > foo.out

On Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:19:53, Philip Webb wrote:
> i have placed 3 versions of the OCAA Report HTML
> under  www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ :
>  ocaa3.html  has only the 8 tables (with a few header lines).
> the challenge is to write a program in a well-known language
> which converts the HTML in each tables to a well-formatted table,
> such as appeared in the original printed report.
> i'll see how far i can get using sed, awk & tail from Kernighan+Pike.
> no prizes, except immortal fame ...

Can I get immortal fame?
--
Takeshi Hataguchi