lynx-dev

lynx-dev off topic: metamail

From: Mike Karlesky
Subject: lynx-dev off topic: metamail
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 22:28:56 -0500 (EST)

I am terribly sorry to bother you real lynx developers, but I have a
somewhat involved user issue with lynx that I just can't seem to resolve.
I was hoping someone could spare a moment...

I have some scripts that utilize the -dump feature of lynx. Everything
works great on my development system. However, I am not the administrator
of the actual machine on which the scripts will run and the admin is not
being very helpful.

When 'nobody' executes my scripts on this machine and I trap the std_err
messages, I get the following:
"metamail: Can't open temporary file!"

The admin just doesn't seem to find this particular system configuration
issue very important. I don't believe I need to use metamail in my scripts
- only dealing with simple html.

Is there a way I can circumvent metamail and this system config problem?
Can I prevent metamail from starting at all and just use lynx. When
metamail dies, lynx does not parse the html content of the URL I provide
in the scripts.

The machine I have to run the scripts on runs linux (Red Hat release 6.0
Kernel 2.2.5-22) and is running lynx 2.8.1rel.2 (1998).

Any help would be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

mk