lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)

From: Klaus Weide
Subject: Re: lynx-dev UTF-8 display questions (was: Superscripts)
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 11:34:40 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Henry Nelson wrote:

> This is the kind of stuff I see occasionally.  Interestingly, I have
> no problems if I use DCS euc-jp, CJK on.  If I change to DCS utf-8,
> CJK off, I get very strange behavior like the title bar being overwritten
> with the first line of links.  If I hit [END] to go to the end of the
> document, and the hit [HOME] to go back to the top, it's better, but if
> I navigate things get messed up (links seem to get printed one line
> below) again.  This is using a terminal emulator, with lynx running
> in a screen window: Lynx 2.8.4dev.1, slang 1.4, i.e., not just x.

As far as I know you don't have an UTF-8 capable terminal emulation
at all.  (Correct me if I am wrong).  So it's no surprise if UTF-8 output
doesn't appear correctly.  In effect, you are lying to lynx when you
"change to DCS utf-8".

If shift_jis written to the screen can lock up your terminal emulation,
then so could utf-8 - all the bytes that are dangerous in shift_jis can
also be part of an utf-8 multibyte character sequence.

   Klaus