lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Error messages and nls

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Error messages and nls
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 10:23:17 +0900 (JST)

> >> When I start lynx in french with display charset cp850, characters are
> >> correct on the document, but are bad on status line (accentuated
[...]
> Just checked, and things are also bad in the print menu.
> For example you se char where you should see

Okay, so it is not specific to the status line.  More than likely I won't
be of much help to you :(.

> But maybe it could also depend in the charset the original .po file has
> been written.

You say you're displaying charset cp850, but the distribution fr.po file
is written in iso-8859-1.  I suppose you could try setting your display
charset to iso-8859-1 and see what happens.  (Or, visa-versa, convert the
po file to cp850, recompile and install.)

> What is the your_system_charset parameter and where is it?

My mistake.  I meant the environment variable LANG.  I still don't know
what port or version of Lynx you are using, so it's pretty much useless
to talk about system parameters.  If you are on Un*x, however, your
locale settings must be correct for NLS to work properly.  I have no idea
how it works with Windows.

> >test of whether you have your system charset defined correctly would be
> >to put some French in your lynx.cfg file, and see if it is displayed

It might be worth giving this a try since it has nothing to do with NLS.
It's easy to do.  You only add a line to lynx.cfg; you do not have to
recompile Lynx.

Also, it will make a difference whether you are using the console, an
X window, or accessing via a terminal emulator.  Whatever you use, your
configuration concerning the charset will be important.

__Henry