lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with SSL on Win32 (was: Would you ever so

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Re: Lynx with SSL on Win32 (was: Would you ever so
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2001 09:14:53 +0000 (GMT)

> openssl with all algorithms enabled, including idea and rc5. If you
> are in a country that recognizes software patents, this binary version
> of lynx may not be OK unless you purchase the software licenses. If

You will also need to modify COPYING before you redistribute it, to
invoke a geographical limitation on use, excluding the USA, probably
Switzerland, probably Japan and probably several more that I'm not
aware of.  This is a requirement of the GPL, where there is a patent
conflict - the only other option is to treat the right to re-distribute
under the GPL as void, meaning that the result will be for your personal
use only, even if you pay the royalties.

I am not convinced though, that anyone except the original copyright
owners, collectively, are permitted to do this under the terms of
the GPL, so it may simply be absolutely non-redistributable.  (This
tends to have been ignored whilst SSL was under patent!)

IANAL