lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev Setting term environment variable

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Setting term environment variable
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 19:34:56 -0400

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 03:39:20AM -0700, Wesley Turner wrote:
> When trying to execute the command
> >/usr/bin/lynx -dump
> in a CGI script, I get an error
> >TERM environment variable needs set. while executing "exec /usr/bin/lynx
> -dump
>
> After a bit of research, I found that one must define a terminal for lynx.
> So, I try
> >/usr/bin/lynx -term=vt100 -dump
> thinking that this'll solve the problem.  It doesn't, I just get the same
> >TERM environment variable needs set. while executing "exec /usr/bin/lynx
> -term=vt100 -dump
>
> What am I missing?  BTW, I'm using Lynx Version 2.8.3dev.18 for this.

The problem is that (a couple of times) because of slang's unusual order
of initialization, its ability to run without a terminal has been broken.
The curses/ncurses configuration works better, btw.  But I think the
current version of lynx works for what you're trying to do.

The current version of lynx is 2.8.4

It's available at
        http://lynx.isc.org/
        ftp://lynx.isc.org/lynx-2.8.4