lynx-dev

Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: lynx-dev '\' reloading documents
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:50:46 +0900 (JST)

Maybe Lynx should do what MSIE does: feed the source (temp file Lynx
has written to disk) into DEFAULT_EDITOR rather than refetch the file
or "source cache."  That way there is no way to accidentally or otherwise
use data which is possibly no longer appropriate for hypertext operations.
(In fact, that is what I do now manually.  Go to another "screen" window
and view the file with a viewer or editor.  Perhaps '\' could optionally
offer a menu, not unlike 'p', to chose how to view the file.  This method
would have the added benefit of making pretty source obsolete -- just use
a tool designed to pull html tags, do line wrapping, hyphenation, whatever.
Good way to lose 10 kgs overnight. :)

> is there a reason why the source cache isn't used for https://?

For a long, long time source cacheing was not allowed into the code
base.  It might be worthwhile to review some of the discussion that
went on prior to and at the time source cache was finally implemented.

Some, admittedly unknowledgeable, concerns I have are:

Seems like a large proportion of documents are created dynamically
on the web these days.  In many cases it means that each page from
the server is unique, i.e., each time you access the URL, the page
that the server returns is different from any page you may have