lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Screen positioning

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Screen positioning
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 12:35:29 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005, Thorsten Glaser wrote:

Thomas Dickey dixit:

May I suggest to just use the 2nd or 3rd screen line as point where to
place the top of screen in the other view?

hmm - is this for the case where your cursor is on a link, or where no
link is visible?  For the former case, I (think) it keeps the cursor on
the "same" screen line before/after the toggle.  For the other case, it
currently positions the screen to the nearest link (which I noted is not
entirely satisfactory).

I think it's possible to further improve that (nearest link) by estimating
how far the display is from a link.

My suggestion would be to just skip talking about hyperlinks and
instead taking the topmost two or three screen lines ONLY into
account, making them show the same in both views.

I think we're talking about two different things. When toggling source view, lynx determines where the top of the screen is after recomputing
lots of things.  The only known point is the beginning of the whole page.

When it goes to display a screen, it uses a line-number within the formatted page. But the line number for the same text in the normal and source views is not necessarily close to the same value, except when you're right at the beginning of the page.

Or perhaps you were talking about making the whole feature optional.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net