lynx-dev

[Lynx-dev] read timeout issue

From: Jincai Jiang
Subject: [Lynx-dev] read timeout issue
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 11:07:58 -0500

Dear Lynx developers,

Practically speaking, Lynx does not allow read-timeout. That is a big problem for me. I read previous discussions and found that many other users had this problem too.

Could you please add a read timeout option?

Network disturbance occurs so often nowadays (especially for home network with dynamic IP given by ISP). Whenever that happens, we have to kill lynx and start allover again. Sometime I don’t know where I were in the previous session. I use lynx to download multiple urls in shell scripts too. Sometimes I have to kill the program several times to get a set of outputs.

I guess Microsoft has the same issue on failing to read page after getting connected. But it solves it by showing “page cannot be displayed” instead of hanging.

Other than this, I think Lynx is an excellent package. It is fast, reliable, full of features …

Best Regards,

Jincai Jiang

Office: (505)661-0509, Cell: (505)920-0856