lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable

From: Stefan Caunter
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Re: not setting background in lynx.lss when using--enable-default-colors
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 12:17:46 -0500

On 12/12/07, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
>  > Sure, as far as you know, but that is really something for  a
>  > distribution to consider.
>
> Not sure what you are referring to, please clarify: that some
> distributions configure the terminal emulators to default to another
> background, or that distributions should configure the lynx defaults. If
> the later, then for example Fedora tries not to change application
> default, it tries to stick with what "upstream" provides.

Settings in userdefs.h, lynx.cfg, ~/.lynxrc, aliases, -cfg, and the
Options page are all available, system TERM and SHELL. Client terminal
emulator settings are a variable.

>  > The lynx app itself is totally configurable.  (For example) it also
>  > doesn't default to vi keys, and so 'j' doesn't work as expected. By
>  > me. And so on.
>
> This is an incorrect analogy so irrelevant to the discussion at hand:
> this is not something that has recently changed in lynx.

I did not see a reference to a recent change, just default behaviour,
my apologies.

>  > Actual terminals have dark backgrounds and going to white background
>  > is equally strange there.
>
> 2 fundamental problems with this statement:
>  - with my proposal things work correctly with both X terminal
>  emulators and real terminals. Tested with xterm and the linux console:
>  the background stays white and black, respectively.
>  - there are a few orders of magnitude less actual terminals than
>  terminal emulators in use, so basing defaults on actual terminals
>  would not help the majority of users.
>
> Again, lynx has not  used a default black background until now. Why
> change?

Again, I don't see a reference to a change (I am probably missing something).

Stefan Caunter
http://caunter.ca/contact.html