lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] dump without wrapping?

From: Thomas Dickey
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] dump without wrapping?
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 19:28:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 13 May 2010, gobnat wrote:

Hi

I'm trying to dump web pages to text files, but without any line wrapping. I have tried -width=<large number> but it seems to wrap at around 990 characters (and -width=0, defaults to 80).

Is there some way to dump a file without applying any line wrapping (other than that dictated by the html) with lynx? If not, how do I request it as a new feature? (if 990 is a magic number then a bigger magic number would also be fine)

It is a compiled-in limit.

There are several cases which use this limit, but the most common one is that formatted lines are stored in locally-managed memory chunks. Increasing the limit at compile-time is (assuming that the chunk-size is much larger than the linesize-limit) relatively straightforward, but changing the memory scheme would not be.

A dump uses the same formatting logic as would be used for the screen layout, taking the formatted lines and translating underlining, etc.

(There are also buffers with fixed-size, but they're not as important in the dump).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net