lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] How programmatically determine nature of one's current lo

From: aw585
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] How programmatically determine nature of one's current location in the lynx screen?
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2011 01:10:34 GMT

> On Sun, 31 Jul 2011, Graham Lawrence wrote:
>
> > I'm writing a bash script to automate my sign-ins at various web
> > sites.  Is it possible for the script to access the content of the
> > blue highlighted line near the bottom of the lynx screen, so that it
> > can determine if it is currently at a (NORMAL LINK) or at a (Text
> > Entry Field), etc?
>
> Not easily, I think.  The usual response to questions about
> screen-scraping would be to use "expect", but I believe that's
> too hard (because of all of the screen optimization made by curses).
>
> --
> Thomas E. Dickey

There are a handful of tools you can do this sort of thing with.
Look for something that mentions pseudoterminals.
I've had good experience using C-Kermit to drive Lynx.
I may not understand your strategy, but spending a lot of time
extracting the blue highlighted line seems too passive.
Decide where you're going to, and go there.
Aggressive use of URL #fragments, link numbering and
and finding GET tackons and directory paths
of URLs in ADDRLIST/LIST views of the page can simplify navigating there.
At least that's my experience.  :-)

This is exactly the situation where including
the form html elements in ADDRLIST views of the page
would simplify things.
(Hint, hint, nudge, nudge, I submitted a wish list
request about this some time back.   ;-)  )

Regards, Dallas E. Legan II / address@hidden / address@hidden
http://isthereanotherquestion.blogspot.com
"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"
        - "At the Mountains of Madness", H.P.