lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Can't view the source on XML pages. Bug?

From: Henry Nelson
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Can't view the source on XML pages. Bug?
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 16:29:33 +0900

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 02:07:50PM -0400, Keith Bowes wrote:
> Je 2011-Aug-24 je 08:08, Thorsten Glaser skribis:
> > Keith Bowes dixit:
> >
> > >Odd.  When I try to view the source I see:
> > >application/xml D)ownload, or C)ancel
> >
> > That’s because you serve it wrong, server-side. The correct thing,
> > despite what the with-each-other-conflicting “standards” say, is
> > to deliver ANY kind of HTML/XHTML as text/html unless the browser
> > explicitly indicates otherwise:
>
> It is an XML document, mixing various XML namespaces, for browsers that
> support them.  Sending it as text/html would just make browsers treat it
> as tag soup and ignore the other namespaces.

Jumping in a little late, but this topic is of considerable interest.

I agree that it is not intuitive that Lynx would render a document
that it thinks the source is binary code.  Perhaps Lynx is told to treat
urls with certain file extentions, eg., *.aspx, *.xml, etc., the same
as if they were labeled "*.html."  Maybe this code comes into play
before the server directive (mime.types) when g)oto is used, but the
opposite order when /)ource is viewed. ??

At the same time I agree with Thorsten that it doesn't make sense to
serve a document that is in fact text as "Content-Type: application/xml."
Doesn't "application" imply binary code?

What would happen if you named the file "xhtml2.html" rather than
"xhtml2.xml?"  Seems as though it would work in all browsers that
understand the doctype.

Off list, some interest in what you want to do with `` <h>Ruby module</h>
<ruby xml:lang="ja"> ''.  For the record this section renders here as:
   I will do it next weekmonth.
   Ruby module 譁==阯、 篆。 逕キ 縺輔> 縺ィ縺==縺ョ縺カ 縺==W3C
   Associate Chairman XForms
(Not exactly Japanese.  Maybe you need "charset=utf-8" somewhere??)

__Henry

  "Using Lynx is like wearing a really good pair of shades: cuts out
   the glare and harmful UV (ultra-vanity), and you feel so-o-o COOL."
                                         -- me, March 1999