lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] BUG Report

From: Keith Bowes
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] BUG Report
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2011 16:13:30 -0400

Je 2011-Okt-12 je 17:10, address@hidden skribis:
>                                                              406 Not
> Acceptable
>
>                                 Not Acceptable
>
>    An appropriate representation of the requested resource
>    /software/audio.html could not be found on this server.
>
>    Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to
>    use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
>

> Commands: Use arrow keys to move, '?' for help, 'q' to quit, '<-' to go back.
>   Arrow keys: Up and Down to move.  Right to follow a link; Left to go back.
>  H)elp O)ptions P)rint G)o M)ain screen Q)uit /=search [BackSpace]=history
> list
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> Suspect David Taylor's Web site server doesn't accept the User Agent text
>  that Lynx normally sends.  Can anyone reproduced this problem with Lynx?
>
> If so, are there any suggestion's on how to alter the normal Lynx User Agent
>  text to bypass this issue?

It's easy to bypass, but it's really a server issue.  The Lynx
user-agent header is compliant with the HTTP/1.1 spec.  The better
course of action, IMHO, would be to report the error to the webmaster of
the site.

An interesting way to test your idea would be to create a simple HTTP
client and try different User-Agent combinations.  This can be very
easily done in PHP with the fsockopen() and fwrite() functions (that's
normally what I do when I'm trying to debug HTTP headers).