lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] can't change user-agent-header

From: Chuck Martin
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] can't change user-agent-header
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 04:33:50 -0500

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 07:52:16AM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> the program keeps forcing it back to lynx original and this is not good for
> certain web sites.  I did the change in the lynx options and when I started
> up lynx again and checked the user-agent-header it was back to default.  Do
> I need to do something in lynx.cfg as well?

Although you can make it permanent, as others have mentioned, I've chosen
a different approach: shell aliases, using the -useragent command line
option.  I have several different aliases for different user agents, so
if one doesn't work, I can quickly try another.  Some of them aren't real
user agents, but messages I hope the webmaster will find in his logs
advising of problems with the site, or idiotic things he's implemented
(like blocking browsers based on the user agent string).  Surprisingly,
those messages often allow me to view a page or site that specifically
blocks browsers with the string "lynx" in their user agent.

--
My address uses a whitelist.  If you aren't in my whitelist, you can
only send me e-mail if you send to an appropriately tagged address (it