lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] latest mac edition of Lynx?

From: Thorsten Glaser
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] latest mac edition of Lynx?
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2022 22:10:14 +0000 (UTC)

Hi Karen,

> To be forthright, I have no idea what fink is, nor have I heard of macports.

both are methods of packaging up commonly-available software for Mac OSX,
which does not have any repository for third-party software like, for
example, most GNU/Linux distributions do. There are others (e.g. pkgsrc
from NetBSD can be used), but these two are primarily intended for Mac OSX.

> The use of the word ship in the context below seems? to suggest distribute.

Yes.

> If that is the case, especially as I believe the  mac list members
> asking about lynx are using big shore the last before the m1 units,

I have no idea what *that* means. But then, I don’t use a Macintosh
myself (I only have remote access to one for work stuff) and never
liked them.

Macintosh users would often know either Fink or Darwinports/macports.

> then I feel comfortable sending them to the developer editions.

For some software, and lynx does indeed fit into that category,
their developer versions are more stable than most software’s
release versions. So go for it!

bye,
//mirabilos
--
[...] if maybe ext3fs wasn't a better pick, or jfs, or maybe reiserfs, oh but
what about xfs, and if only i had waited until reiser4 was ready... in the be-