lynx-dev

Re: [Lynx-dev] Don't open link on left mouse click

From: Robin Stern
Subject: Re: [Lynx-dev] Don't open link on left mouse click
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2022 12:29:25 -0700

On Tue, Aug 02, 2022 at 02:15:46PM +0100, David Woolley wrote:
> On 02/08/2022 12:20, Mouse wrote:
> > (a) so here's an opportunity for lynx to do better!
>
> They did it at a time when the convention of single click to select and
> double click to activate was a standard part of the Windows user interface.
> I think they took that position that selection wasn't something that people
> wanted to do with hypertext links, i.e., I think they thought single click
> activation was the better solution, for the hypertext use case.

There is another important reason why its more natural for w3m and lynx to not
follow the link on click. That ie because the user might then want to press '.'
to open the underlying link in an external graphical browser like Firefox etc.
At the moment if there is a link surrounded by other links on all of N, E, S, W
directions then it is impossible to select it and press '.' to open in an
external viewer. One is forced to press tab/ arrow keys multiple times to first
reach to that link and then press '.'.